By Stephen Wagg
Bringing jointly prime foreign writers on cricket and society, this crucial new e-book locations cricket within the postcolonial lifetime of the key Test-playing nations. Exploring the tradition, politics, governance and economics of cricket within the twenty-first century, this ebook dispels the age-old proposal of a gradual online game performed on England's village vegetables.
This is an unique political and ancient examine of the game's improvement in more than a few nations and covers:
* cricket within the new Commonwealth: Sri Lanka, Pakistan, the Caribbean and India
* the cricket cultures of Australia, New Zealand and post-apartheid South Africa
* cricket in England because the 1950s.
This new booklet is perfect for college kids of recreation, politics, historical past and postcolonialism because it presents stimulating and entire discussions of the foremost concerns together with race, migration, gobalization, neoliberal economics, the media, faith and sectarianism.
Read or Download Cricket and National Identity in the Postcolonial Age: Following On PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
With a global line-up of participants, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during game. It addresses different brokers of swap within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in activity and anti-racism in game, and the problem to game this day.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2004 im Fachbereich game - Sportsoziologie, word: 1,0, Philipps-Universität Marburg (Institut für Sportwissenschaft und Motologie), Veranstaltung: event established Counceling – ein Beratungsmodell für die Schule, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die vorliegende Arbeit erfolgt im Anschluss an die Exkursion „Adventure dependent Counseling [ABC] – ein Beratungsmodell für die Schule“, welches sich in den Rahmen der Zusatzqualifikation „Abenteuer- und Erlebnispädagogik“ der Philipps-Universität Marburg einordnet.
The safeguarding of youngsters and adolescents partaking in game has develop into an more and more fashionable main issue in policy-making and examine groups around the globe. significant businesses corresponding to the IOC and UNICEF now formally realize that kids in activity could be liable to exploitation and abuse, and this main issue has ended in the emergence of latest tasks and guidelines geared toward retaining weak youngsters and athletes.
There's a transparent experience during which game has performed, and maintains to play an enormous position within the normalization and legitimization of regimen, over the top and challenge ingesting; game and alcohol became inextricably associated. Alcohol businesses offer investment within the type of sponsorship, fanatics eat alcohol whilst observing, and avid gamers rejoice, bond and chill out with alcohol.
- Vom Sportstudium zum Beruf - Die Absolventinnen und Absolventen des Studienschwerpunktes Medien & Kommunikation der Jahrgänge 2003–2005 an der DSHS Köln (German Edition)
- Sport, Animals, and Society (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
- Sport, Politics and Society in the Land of Israel: Past and Present
- Fear and Loathing on the Oche: A Gonzo Journey Through the World of Championship Darts
- Repairing the Athlete's Image: Studies in Sports Image Restoration
- Complex Systems in Sport (Routledge Research in Sport and Exercise Science)
Extra resources for Cricket and National Identity in the Postcolonial Age: Following On
Cricket and National Identity in the Postcolonial Age: Following On by Stephen Wagg