By Alan Klein
This assortment illustrates the expansiveness of an interdisciplinary method of the learn of recreation. whereas rooted in anthropology, those essays examine American activities of their social, financial, cultural and political features, charting their evolution. The e-book attracts from historical past, sociology, and political technology; in addition to contemplating the connection among the constructed and constructing international; and tradition and masculinity.
The first a part of the booklet considers the neighborhood and international interaction baseball, overlaying:
- Major League Baseball’s impression at the Dominican Republic
- nationalism and baseball at the Mexican/US border
- the globalizing forces of baseball as an industry.
The moment a part of the e-book is anxious with the cultural exam of the responsiveness of masculinity to social and cultural forces, examining:
- the exaggerated international of bodybuilders in Southern California
- the cross-cultural comparisons of male behaviour on a bi-national baseball group in Mexico
- the ancient exam of Jews in American sport.
This publication was once formerly released as a distinct factor of Sport in Society
Read Online or Download American Sports: An Anthropological Approach (Sport in the Global Society) PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
With a world line-up of individuals, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during activity. It addresses different brokers of switch within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in recreation and anti-racism in activity, and the problem to game at the present time.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2004 im Fachbereich recreation - Sportsoziologie, observe: 1,0, Philipps-Universität Marburg (Institut für Sportwissenschaft und Motologie), Veranstaltung: event established Counceling – ein Beratungsmodell für die Schule, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die vorliegende Arbeit erfolgt im Anschluss an die Exkursion „Adventure dependent Counseling [ABC] – ein Beratungsmodell für die Schule“, welches sich in den Rahmen der Zusatzqualifikation „Abenteuer- und Erlebnispädagogik“ der Philipps-Universität Marburg einordnet.
The safeguarding of kids and youth engaging in recreation has develop into an more and more in demand drawback in policy-making and examine groups world wide. significant companies equivalent to the IOC and UNICEF now formally realize that youngsters in game could be prone to exploitation and abuse, and this quandary has resulted in the emergence of latest projects and regulations geared toward conserving weak children and athletes.
There's a transparent experience within which activity has performed, and keeps to play a huge position within the normalization and legitimization of regimen, over the top and challenge consuming; game and alcohol became inextricably associated. Alcohol businesses supply investment within the type of sponsorship, lovers devour alcohol while observing, and gamers have a good time, bond and sit back with alcohol.
- Playing Games: An introduction to the philosophy of sport through dialogue
- Homosexualität im professionellen Männerfußball: Ein kultureller Wandel? (German Edition)
- The Impact and Evaluation of Major Sporting Events (Sport in the Global Society)
- Die Gesellschaft auf Reisen – Eine Reise in die Gesellschaft (German Edition)
- 'Race' and Sport: Critical Race Theory
- Unwinding Madness: What Went Wrong with College Sports—and How to Fix It
Additional info for American Sports: An Anthropological Approach (Sport in the Global Society)
American Sports: An Anthropological Approach (Sport in the Global Society) by Alan Klein